Saturday, March 22, 2008

Weird (but pretty good) Anime


Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
-

It's difficult to describe this one without giving too much away. Well, for starters this anime is centered around a boy and girl named Sasshi and Arumi whose families own businesses in the Abenobashi commercial district in Osaka. An accident occurs which makes their lives very, very weird. They get transported to a bunch of alternate realities with very strange (and sometimes hilarious) themes. This series touches on all sorts of pop culture phenomena and is a little heavyhanded with sexual innuendos and fart jokes.















Gun X Sword-

Now this one I just started watching but it's fantastic so far. If you like Trigun, you'll probably love this one. The protagonist is a tuxedoed man named Van who has a shapeshifting sword and his most notable personality quirk is that he's obsessed with condiments. As far as "weird anime" goes this one is borderline but it has enough strange characters and weird things going on that I feel alright about putting it on this list.




















Paranoia Agent-

I can't make a list of weird (but pretty good) anime without including Paranoia Agent.
A community is terrorized by an assailant appropriately nicknamed "Lil' Slugger" because he beats his victims with a baseball bat....but there's more going on here than that. This is a very strange psychological thriller type story wrought with bizarre occurences and twists and things aren't quite as they might seem.
















Midori Days (Midori No Hibi)
-

This one starts off with a tough guy named Seiji who wakes up one day with a miniature girl where his right hand used to be. I really, really thought this one would be awful but I couldn't resist it. I was pleasantly surprised that it was quite watchable and pretty funny in parts even if they do use some of the gags that you would expect from a show like this (if I made this anime I'm sure I'd have to do it too).

0 comments:

 
Ownership and copyright of all images displayed within this site belong to their respective owners, artists or creators.
Blog design by suckmylolly.com and Toxiferous Designs.

Zazzle.com and Cafepress are my fulfillment company partners and I may earn a commission on any products sold through those links.
I'm an Amazon associate and may earn a commission from any sales through Amazon links.